Monday 26 April 2010

Arriving in Uganda

It takes 18 hours to fly from my hometown to Kampala. That’s a lot of time to consider what you’re getting yourself into. If someone mentioned Uganda you might think of things like the Lord’s Resistance Army, child soldiers or AIDS orphans. Those things are all appropriate, but I was thinking more about what I can do to help! I’m going to Kampala to volunteer with Viva and help improve children’s lives, and I can’t wait.


The first thing I saw when I got off the plane was a sign saying “Welcome to the Pearl of Africa”. And it’s true: emerald green tropical forests and a very welcoming community of Ugandans accepted me as a part of their own. There are many things you can do here: explore the yellow savannah filled with wildlife, admire the sparkling waterfalls, and sunbathe near majestic Lake Victoria. But above all these wonderful places you can find in Uganda, the most impressive and beautiful thing I’ve seen is its people.

I’ve been deeply impressed with the genuine friendliness of the people here. In fact, it’s not so different from where I'm from. Some of the people may be enduring difficult circumstances, and most of them may not have the kind of life Westerners enjoy, but I have learnt to see the important things in life, the things that really matter … and Ugandans have them all! You can’t help being captivated by their big smiles, their generosity and their openness.

The best example I can give of this is at the projects I’ve visited. Part of my job is to visit child care projects that are members of the CRANE network, which Viva brought together and works with closely (a network is a group of people and projects in a local are who have officially joined up to work together). These projects are often orphanages, homes filled with children who have been abandoned or whose parents have died. Yes there is pain: many of them come from broken homes and sick parents; but in that pain God is meeting their needs, bringing joy, love and care through the lives of many people who are making a difference.

These kids are reminding me that we are called to be joyful and thankful in every circumstance. They are so happy to have “moms”, the ladies caring for them in the orphanages. Thanks to these projects’ connections with one another through Viva the kids can attend school, go to church, play sports, and get medical care – and enjoy a safe environment where they can grow, develop and just be children.

Of course there’s sadness too. Many of these children are awaiting adoption, and I know that only a few of them will ever realise that hope. Many of them are disabled or are suffering from HIV/AIDS themselves. But I see God in every one of their smiles. They have more joy than many people who have never known suffering or even seen it.

Last week I visited a home for disabled children. When I showed up the leaders were just in the process of setting up a dance party. I wondered: “for disabled kids?” Some of them couldn’t walk at all, how were they going to dance? I was actually upset, thinking it was insensitive to ask these children to dance. But then the music came on … and I found that I was very wrong. These children could definitely dance, and they were thrilled about doing it. One boy, Marcus, was 13 and had polio. He couldn’t use his legs. Did that stop him? I couldn’t have made Marcus stop dancing if I wanted to! We all had the most fun time, and at the end Marcus invited me back.

I think I’ll accept.


~ T. in Kampala

Check out www.viva.org to find out more about what Viva does in Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Every blessing in Christ for the great effort in all you do to serve children in Uganda.

    Rogers M FFC.

    ReplyDelete