Monday 13 September 2010

Switching it up - Police in for Child Questioning!

On my first day in Kampala, I was taken to the Old Taxi Park. It was a dizzying maze of hundreds of small minibuses, known locally as matatus, and we were trying to find the one that would take me to my placement hosts. There is seemingly no system of getting in and out, and I was actually knocked by the side mirror of one as it was squeezing past us to get out. I remember thinking ‘What have I done? Where have I come to?’ My sales job in the UK was, a week after finishing up with the company, a lifetime away.

Yet a month later I had mastered the matatu system and there I was navigating my way to Stand Up Uganda, a community organisation that helps disadvantaged people, all by myself. The organisation is a member of Viva’s partner network in Kampala, the Children at Risk Action Network (CRANE). They told me “Pick a taxi at the matatu stage and then after the big junction look for the small white sign, after the garage and opposite the white building”. After passing what I assumed was the big junction, panic rose within me as I saw a garage, and then a white building and then another garage, and then a white shop… but then, looking across the road, that small white sign gleamed at me. I had made it!


I thought of that day as, now two years later, I was once again travelling to Stand Up Uganda, by coincidence the last children at risk project that I would visit in Uganda. On that first visit, Stand Up Uganda was nearing the end of the Viva Equip Projects course and I was hearing all about what they had learned in the most recent modules on financial accountability and project planning. The achievements of the organisation were many, but they wanted more help in child protection. They had written a policy but didn’t know where to start on changing patterns of child abuse in the community and were among a group of network members that had asked for more support in this specific area.

That was two years ago – this time, I am at Stand Up Uganda attending a network advocacy event that’s bringing together local children, the Mayor, the local council Chairman, the local Police Officer in charge of families and child protection and several other community members for a forum on protecting children as a community. It is so exciting to be able to hear the children confidently speak to their parents, local counsellors and police officers about abuse. Thanks to the advocacy programme of Viva and the network, children know their rights; parents know children’s rights; and local community elders are beginning to sit up and take notice. Listen in for a second…

Boy, 12: What are the challenges you face in implementing the law?
Police Officer: Parents don’t abide by the law, and the police need to be able to speak with them to change ways of neglect. Children keep quiet and don’t tell us openly what is going on so we can’t help them.
Boy, 12: What have you done to people who abuse children’s rights? Especially rich people. Some police are corrupt and just take the money.
PO: When we have a complaint, we always try to investigate and arrest them. This bribery shouldn’t happen but there are many departments in the police. If we find out, we do our best to refer to other police quarters. It is our duty to investigate and report properly.

Boy, 7: If a child just has one parent, and you arrest that parent for neglect, where do the children go?
PO: We’ll communicate with NGO organisations to help. The police first try to counsel your single parent so they know not to do it again.

Girl, 15: There was a child sacrifice suspect that was released (stated well-known name from press). Why was he released and what are you doing to stop these people?
PO: The law in a murder case states that you need to prove the crime beyond all doubt. Unfortunately the defence often pay the prosecution witnesses so the case is spoilt. Let us be strong-hearted in deciding on our cases and stick to the whole truth. That way, it is much easier for the police to prosecute.

Boy, 16: There are girls under 18 who are prostitutes in Kimbusa. How can you help them?
PO: Certainly the police won’t charge the girl with an offence. But also we want to be in partnership with more NGOs to help the girls. We need to combine our efforts to stop domestic violence in homes, and so we say with the Mayor present - let’s get together and look for ways to do more.
Girl, 11: But I know police officers engage in activities with those children.
PO: Is it true? Can you really identify one?
Child: They are the Special Police Constables.
PO: Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I will make a follow up with my supervisor on this. It cannot go on.

And so, my time as a Viva Volunteer has come to a close. But after this visit to Stand Up Uganda, I’m so happy! The dream of children’s voices being heard is becoming a reality through many similar advocacy events across Kampala, and I know Viva has future plans to support the network as together they work with the government, social workers, police officers and local counsellors as the profile of children’s rights is raised and securing child rights becomes a top priority in this country. It’s a shame I won’t be here to cheer on the team when it all happens, but you can be sure I’ll be watching and applauding from the UK!


~E. in Kampala


Do you want to volunteer with Viva? Visit www.viva.org/GetInvolved/

No comments:

Post a Comment